EI Appeal Division: How to appeal
Asking for permission to appeal
The form asks you to explain why you think the General Division made a mistake based on a ground of appeal. This is where you give the “reasons for your appeal.” At this stage, you need to convince the Appeal Division to allow your appeal to go ahead. You have to show the Appeal Division that you have an argument that could possibly succeed.
There’s no fee to appeal to the SST.
But you may have to cover some of the following costs:
- making photocopies of documents you want to send to us
- sending documents to us by Canada Post or a courier service
- paying a health professional to write a report for you
- hiring a representative
- translating documents into either English or French
- travelling to an in-person hearing
You may be able to get a reimbursement for some costs. This happens only in special cases. The SST Chairperson decides. The law explains when reimbursement is possible. See section 63(1) of the Department of Employment and Social Development Act.