Social Security Tribunal of Canada

Other CPP Appeal Division: Second level of appeal

Appeal a General Division Decision

If you disagree with the General Division decision you received, you can appeal that decision to the Appeal Division.

The Appeal Division is the second level of appeal to the Social Security Tribunal (SST). It’s where you apply if you disagree with the General Division decision.

At the Appeal Division, the decision-makers are SST members, just like at the General Division. But you won’t have the same member at the Appeal Division as you had at the General Division. Appeal Division members make their decisions independently from General Division members. 

Appealing to the Appeal Division is a two-step process:

  1. Ask for permission to appeal from an Appeal Division member. This is called “getting leave to appeal.” You don’t need to get permission to appeal if the General Division summarily dismissed your appeal. 
  2. If you get permission to appeal or if you’re appealing a summary dismissal decision, the Appeal Division member will look at your case and decide the appeal.
Date modified:

Did you find what you were looking for?

What's wrong?


You won’t get a reply. Phone numbers and email addresses will be removed.

Thanks for your feedback!