Social Security Tribunal of Canada

Interpreters and translation

During your appeal process, you can communicate with us in English or French. If it’s difficult for you to communicate in either of these languages, we have services available to help you. 

How to get an interpreter

You can ask for an interpreter at any point either by phone or in writing. There’s also a spot to ask for an interpreter on the forms for your appeal.

If you or your witness need an interpreter for your conference or hearing, contact us as early as possible

To get the most accurate interpretation service, please tell us your exact language and dialect. If applicable, you can tell us your country of origin too.

Translation of documents

All the documents you give us must be in either English or French. If you have documents in another language, you must get them translated into English or French before sending them to us. 

If you give us a translated document, you must also give us:

  • The translator’s contact information (name, address and phone number)
  • A statement from the translator that the translation is complete and accurate
  • Both the document in its original language and the translated version 

You’re responsible for the cost of translating your documents into English or French. 

We may check the translation for accuracy.

Date modified:

Did you find what you were looking for?


Any information you share here will be anonymous. You won’t get a reply. If you want a reply, please contact us directly.

Thanks for your feedback!