Social Security Tribunal of Canada

EI General Division: How to appeal

Sending supporting documents

We encourage you to send us documents you think will support your appeal, if you have any.

Supporting documents could include

  • pay stubs
  • Record of Employment
  • collective agreement or employment contract
  • medical or specialist’s report
  • bank statements
  • proof of residence
  • settlement agreements

Send us your documents by email, mail or fax. If you send them by email, make sure they’re in a format we can open.

We share the documents we receive with all the parties involved in your appeal.

Keep your originals. Send us copies.

When to send supporting documents

Send us any supporting documents as soon as possible. Your appeal may be delayed if you don’t.

You can send them with your Notice of Appeal form. You can also send them after. This sometimes happens if you find other documents that you feel might support your appeal.

At the hearing, if you think of other documents not on your appeal file that may support your appeal, tell the SST member right away. They’ll ask you about the documents, assess whether they’re relevant, and decide whether to accept them. If the member accepts them, they’ll give you a deadline for sending the documents to us.

Translating documents

We can accept documents only in English or French. If your documents are in another language, they must be translated. You’re responsible for getting a translation of any document that you want to use to support your appeal.

If you send us documents in a language other than English or French without a translation, we won’t accept them. We’ll return them to you without sharing them with anyone else.


There’s no fee to appeal to the SST.

But you may have to cover some of the following costs:

  • making photocopies of documents you want to send to us 
  • sending documents to us by Canada Post or a courier service
  • paying a health professional to write a report for you
  • hiring a representative
  • translating documents into either English or French
  • travelling to an in-person hearing

You may be able to get a reimbursement for some costs. This happens only in special cases. The SST Chairperson decides. The law explains when reimbursement is possible. See section 63(1) of the Department of Employment and Social Development Act.

Orange, green and yellow abstract image
Date modified: