Social Security Tribunal of Canada

Other CPP General Division: How to appeal

Sending supporting documents

We encourage you to send us documents you think will support your appeal, if you have any.

The SST doesn’t investigate or seek out supporting documents (evidence). We don’t contact people to get more information on your behalf. It’s up to you to send us your supporting documents.

Supporting documents could include:

  • marriage certificate
  • proof of common-law union (for example, statutory declaration of common-law union or utility bills showing your shared address)
  • proof of divorce or separation

Send us your documents by email, mail, or fax. If you send them by email, make sure they’re in a format we can open.

We share the documents we receive with all the parties involved in your appeal.

Keep your originals. Send us copies.

When to send supporting documents

Send us any supporting documents as soon as possible. Your appeal may be delayed if you don’t.

You can send them with your Notice of Appeal form. You can also send them after

Translating documents

We can accept documents only in English or French. If your documents are in another language, they must be translated. You’re responsible for getting a translation of any document that you want to use to support your appeal.

If you send us documents in a language other than English or French without a translation, we won’t accept them. We’ll return them to you without sharing them with anyone else.

Choosing your type of hearing

On the Notice of Appeal form you send us, you can choose the type of hearing you want. There are 4 types of hearings at the General Division:

  • teleconference
  • videoconference on a personal device
  • videoconference at a Service Canada Centre
  • in-person at a Service Canada Centre

If there are any changes in COVID-19 measures that affect your hearing, we’ll let you know. We’re now able to hold in-person hearings. We continue to ask everyone to wear a mask, even if provincial or territorial requirements are different. 

If you choose an in-person hearing at a Service Canada Centre as your preference, we’ll reach out to you. All participants at a hearing must follow local COVID-19 public health advice and hearing location policies. We’ll tell you what you need to do.

No one type of hearing is better than another. Social Security Tribunal (SST) members treat all types of hearing equally. You’ll have the same opportunities to talk and ask questions at any type of hearing.

We’ll send you a Notice of Hearing in writing. If you have a representative, they’ll get it too. A Notice of Hearing tells you details about your hearing. For example, it says the type of hearing and when and where the hearing is.

Usually, we’ll give you a teleconference hearing if you don’t tell us the type of hearing you want on your Notice of Appeal form.

Here’s what happens for each type of hearing:


  • We’ll send you the numbers you need
  • Dial the phone number 10 minutes before your hearing
  • Listen to the prompts:
    • Enter the teleconference ID number
    • Enter the teleconference security code number
  • Wait on the line until the member speaks

Videoconference on a personal device

  • Use a device (smartphone, tablet, or computer)
  • Make sure the device is fully charged
  • You choose where to participate
  • We’ll send you a link to use Zoom
  • Connect 10 minutes before your hearing

Videoconference at a Service Canada Centre

  • Go to a Service Canada Centre
  • Arrive 30 minutes early
  • Service Canada staff will: 
    • show you to the right room
    • explain the videoconference
  • The member will be on the screen at the scheduled time

In-person at a Service Canada Centre

  • Go to a Service Canada Centre
  • Arrive 30 minutes early
  • Service Canada staff will show you to the right room
  • The member will join you there

Let us know if you need special arrangements or interpretation

If you need accommodation (special arrangements) to make it easier for you to participate in the hearing, we’re here to help. Let us know as soon as possible if you need accommodation.

During your appeal process, you can communicate with us in English or French. Contact us as soon as you receive your Notice of Hearing if you have limited English or French skills. We can provide an interpreter at no cost to you for the hearing.


An appeal is free.

But you may have some of the following costs:

  • paying a health professional to write a report for you
  • hiring a representative
  • translating documents into either English or French
  • making photocopies of documents you want to send to us 
  • sending documents to us by Canada Post 
  • travelling to an in-person hearing

In very rare cases, you may be able to get reimbursed for certain costs. The SST Chairperson decides. The law explains when reimbursement is possible. See section 63(1) of the Department of Employment and Social Development Act.

Orange abstract image
Date modified:

Did you find what you were looking for?

What's wrong?


You won’t get a reply. Phone numbers and email addresses will be removed.

Thanks for your feedback!